Write programs for CNC Mill and schedule parts to be machined.Responsible for efficiency and throughput of the machines.Provide assistance to the Department Manager in a way that supports the Magna Charter, Corporate Constitution, customers, investors and employees.Will support the departmental leadership and employees to successfully meet goals and objectives by providing guidance, technical expertise and resources needed in order to be safe and productive.Will provide supervision and direction to the CNC machinist in the Tool & Die department assigned to them ensuring that the Customer, People and Investor goals are balanced and met.
Responsible for maintaining a safe and healthful workplace and keeping tooling maintained to produce quality products.Also responsible for continuous improvement of tooling, housekeeping, making informed decisions, and having tooling ready for production runs.
1)Follow and enforce all plant safety rules and policies.
2)Understand and promote Magna’s philosophies (Magna Operational Principles, Corporate Constitution and Employee’s Charter).
3)Program using current/latest CNC standards and procedures 100% of the time.
4)Provide efficient and accurate CAD/CAM programs for all Machining Centers.
5)Constantly improving processes, tooling and strategies.
6)Effective communication skills to pass information to supervisors, team leaders, managers and others as required with special attention given to shift to shift communications.
7)Update programming files, Machine N/C tasks and provide required reports on a daily basis.
8)Responsible for following ISO 14001 Quality Environmental Management System (QEMS) policies, procedures, and work instructions.
9)Responsible for following Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) policies.
10)Perform other duties as assigned.
11)Able to use a variety of controls and run 3 and 5 axis machines.
12)Must make minor offset adjustments and/or tool changes.
13)Troubleshoot on the CNC horizontal and vertical mill, lathe and perform setups and tool changes as required.
14)Schedule, supervise, coordinate, and direct the activities of employees to ensure that production levels and quality standards are met.Monitor throughout day and make adjustments to support operations
15)Plan and direct the utilization and use of all equipment and manpower to achieve the most effective results including time management and overtime reduction
16)Provide timely coaching, counseling, and feedback to employees through one-on-one sessions, performance evaluations, and regular team meetings
17)Manage employees’ time and attendance by monitoring E-Time.
18)Monitor tool life.
19)Check parts and place them on the equipment or gauging stations correctly.
20)Report any problems to Team Leader in a manner that reflects the urgency of the problem.
21) Able to operate on line gauging and understand the readings.
22) Meet production requirements in a timely/efficient manner.
23) Recommend and initiate changes to continuously improve processes and tooling.
24) Perform P.M’s on machines and set up schedules
25)Fill out production sheets and all other production related documents as required and monitor SPC/quality and document updates.
26)Coordinate machining schedule between Engineering, Maintenance and Die Shop
27)Maintain dies and other tooling to produce quality parts to improve processes and increase productivity
28)Sound understanding and knowledge of die work/operations
29)Sound understanding and machine knowledge, able to run all tool room equipment including measuring instruments and CNC Mills
30) Assist in determining spare parts requirements
31) Maintain accurate documentation
32) Train operators and new team members
33) Recommend modifications to existing tooling
34) Establish and maintain communication with other team members and support departments
35) Support continuous improvement and lean manufacturing processes
36) Ensure quality product and know quality procedures
37) Program CNC Machines using offline G-Code software
38) Work to blueprints, CAD data, sketches, and verbal instructions
39)Select appropriate cutting tools as required.
40)Perform quality checks on an ongoing basis to ensure product is within tolerance.
41)Read/interpret designs accurately using smirtware.
42)Send shift notes daily.
43)Run multiple machines as required
44) Efficiently perform Lock out/Tag out Procedures
45)Must be able to work overtime or alternate/rotating shifts as required.
Knowledge and Education
• High School Diploma or GED required; 2-year Associates Degree from accredited technical college is preferred or equivalent experience.
• Previous set-up and programming experience would be an asset.
• Certified Machinist required
Industry Recognized Certificate of Qualification as a Machinist.
Must be familiar with and follow current/latest CNC standards and processes.
Overhead crane/ Forklift experience a plus.
Good communication skills, attendance, and performance are required.
Must be proficient at working independently with minimal supervison.
Must be a certified CNC Machinist, CMM Training
• Practical knowledge of CNC Programming and CNC machine controls i.e.; tool offsets/changes, program changeovers.
• Advanced knowledge of machining fundamentals i.e.turning, milling.
• Certified to operate overhead crane
OTHER: General knowledge of troubleshooting, materials and methods, machines and tools, and practical application of engineering science.Computer knowledge and CNC or EDM; CAD/Blueprint reading and shop math; die building experience is a plus, but not necessary.Basic knowledge in automation.Previous Leadership/Supervisory experience required.
Minimum 2 years in a heavy manufacturing environment (preferably Automotive) – Strong technical background; General machining and CNC Machining and programming experience, Previous leadership/supervisory experience required
Skills and Competencies
• Ability to use all tool room equipment and measuring tools
• Set up, program, and operate CNC Mill accurately and effectively
• Ability to work alone with confidence when required
• Ability to problem solve and troubleshooting
• Understanding of draw and trim operations and functions
• Must be willing to work extended or flexible hours as needed
• Must possess knowledge of stamping and assembly processes
• Willingness to adapt to change and learn
• Previous Leadership/Supervisory experience required.
Some of the physical demands of this position include lifting in excess of 40 pounds.Moving tool boxes around, and lifting and standing for extended periods of time.
Must be available for any shift