Job Title: Quality Assurance Manager
Department: Quality Assurance
Reports To: Deputy General Manager
Status: Salary Exempt
General Purpose of the Job
Quality Assurance (QA) aims to ensure that the product or service provided is a fit for purpose and meets both external and internal requirements, including legal (warranty) compliance and customer expectations. The Quality Manager coordinates the activities required to meet the quality standards. The Quality Manager also monitors and advises on the performance of the Quality
Management System and produces data and reports on performance, measuring against set indicators. The Quality Manager is a liaison between other departmental managers and staff throughout facility to ensure that the QA system is functioning properly. The Quality Manager provides training, techniques, and other tools to enable others to achieve quality. The Quality Manager facilitates all Quality Circle activities and ensures the Continuous Process is adequate and functioning actively at. Position functions include, but are not limited to, those set forth below.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Promoting quality achievement and performance improvement throughout.
• Setting QA compliance objectives and ensuring that targets are achieved.
• Assessing the product specifications of the company and its suppliers and comparing with customer requirements.
• Working with Purchasing Department to establish quality requirements for suppliers and scheduling of supplier QAV to access supplier base.
• Ensuring product compliance to National and International Standards; including Corporate Governance standards as they relate to quoting and warranty and product components as they relate to ELV requirements.
• Establishing clearly defined quality methods for staff to apply / follow.
• Defining quality procedures in conjunction with other QA members and management.
• Ensure all TS16949 procedures are met / monitored within the QA department.
• Setting up and maintaining controls and documentation procedures.
• Identifying relevant quality related training needs and preparing / delivering training.
• Analyzing performance data and charts against defined parameters.
• Ensuring test and procedures are properly understood, carried out and evaluated and that product modifications are investigated / implemented if necessary.
• Supervising technical staff in carrying out test and checks.
• Writing technical and management systems reports.
• Bringing together the Management group and driving the group to plan, formulate and agree on comprehensive quality procedures.
• Persuading reluctant staff to change their way of working to incorporate quality methods.
• Liaising with customers’ and ensuring the execution of Corrective Action and compliance with customer expectations.
• Monitoring performance of product by gathering relevant data and producing statistical reports.
• Report all Corrective Actions to customer, as required.
• Lead 3A weekly audits of processes, maintain log of non conformance and ensure appropriate corrective Action from findings.
• Manage New Model Quality documentations (fixture concepts, PFMEA, PQCT, Inspection Data Sheets, etc.) and ensure documentation is correct and submitted to customer as required.
• Lead HAB New Model requirements for quality including ensuring schedules and activity is completed on time and reports are submitted to customer and examined thoroughly for improvement at next event.
• Monitor Supplier CA’s to ensure effectiveness.
• Prepare annual Quality Department budget and operate within its limits.
• Prepare annual Quality Department business plan that relates to overall company plan and ensure QA department, as well as other departments, operate within the plan.
• Manage and resolve personnel issues within Quality Dept.
• Interview and hire all Quality Dept. personnel.
• Continuous Improvement throughout company, promoting and leading Quality Circle activity; including training of non-salaried personnel on Situation Analysis, Root Cause Analysis and PDCA.
• Assist and train associates on Power Point presentations to allow the team to present their Quality Circle Activity and material to company Sr. Management.
• Ensure the Management team understands the 16 step Quality Circle process; promote their support of the activity and monitor and report departmental activity.
• Mentor and prepare Quality Circle teams for presentations
• Consider Safety, Environmental and Health related issues when setting up procedures and testing within the QA dept. Report any potential risks to the HR Manager and ensure Corrective Actions are taken immediately to always protect staff.
• Must maintain regular attendance to acceptable standards.
• Must be able to work in a team environment.
• Champion the following areas for QMS:
1. Continuous Improvement Process
2. Control of NC Product Process
3. Corrective Action Process
4. Preventive Action Process
5. IPPAAR Process
6. IPP Process
7. Incoming Inspection Process
8. Monitoring and Measuring Process
9. Calibration Process
10. Statistical Process Control Process
1. Performance Management
2. Technical Capacity
3. Organizational Skills
6. Teamwork Orientation
7. Problem Solving/Analysis
8. Communication Proficiency
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree (BA) from four-year College or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to write speeches and articles using original or innovative techniques or style. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and
deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and Power Point).
Other Skills and Abilities
• Must have a very high level of writing skills to communicate internally, externally with suppliers and with the customer.
• Must have a proficiency in math and a very good working knowledge of statistics and geometric tolerances.
• Must have the ability to interact with staff; both at the customer and internally professionally.
• Understand the Japanese methodology of Quality and adapt to the changing requirements of “New Presidents”.
• Able to adapt to new requirements of the job.
• Be a “Peace-Maker” internally / externally and at the customer.
• Able to be a “Mentor” for the quality dept as well as other departments to grow company staff and prepare them for promotions within our organization.
• Be firm in the beliefs of our company: portray these beliefs to all staff and stand firm when other departmental managers don’t support you.
• Always represent company professionally.
• Must be very “thick skinned”: cannot rattle easily.
• Must be able to make decisions quickly and stand by those decisions.
• Accept responsibility when mistakes are made and work to correct the underlying issue.
• Work well under very stressful situations.
• Should be able to handle a lot of confrontations without losing composure.
• Must be firm but tactful.
Decision Making Authority
• Employment Decisions: including hiring, salary adjustments, promotions and discipline.
• Budget planning
• Business planning
• Cost planning
• Kaizen planning
• Sourcing for New Model Quality items.
• Quality-related training needs for department and other staff.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly required to talk or hear at moderate noise levels. The associate is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. Occasional lifting may be required of this position. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and color vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. The performance of this position may occasional require exposure to the manufacturing areas were under certain areas require the use of personal protective equipment such as ear, eye, head and foot. Primary environment: ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office environment.